Saturday, June 14, 2008

Literary Criticism: A Manifesto

I have found that I write a lot of literary criticism. Some of what I will post here goes back to my days in Graduate School at Chapman University in Orange, California, but most of it will be reviews of plays that appear locally, books and movies. I don't want to get myself into a bind, so if I know you personally, I won't review you. There is no way for me to win in that situation, so I am stating my position from the beginning. I may love you to death, but don't ask.

I have a B.S. in Elementary Education from Phillips University, an M.Ed. and an A.B.D. from The University of North Texas. I have also attended the University of Houston, Chapman University, Houston Community College, and all three branches of Coast Community College District in Costa Mesa, California, where I've studied such diverse areas as mathematics, creative writing, voice, and theater arts. I have lost track of how many credit hours I have.

I love theater and I love literature and I love movies, but they can all be improved. That is the critic's job: to explain how to make each of these perfect. But it also part of the job to applaud the good things that are being done. People need to know what they are doing right and well.

I hope that everyone who reads this will enjoy it.

And to everyone who puts them selves out there -- whether on film or in print or on stage-- a big heart-felt BRAVO! Every time you read my blogs remember that I said that in the beginning.

No comments: